A group of people concerned with the safety and welfare of their neighbors, friends, and the community of the borough of New Oxford met in the public schoolhouse with the purpose of organizing a volunteer fire company known as “New Oxford Fire Company #1.”
The company elected M. J. Smith Financial Secretary and E.G. Topper, Fire Chief.
A motion to accept the conditions set forth by the borough council for transferring the engine house, located on West High Street, and the engine, with all its equipment, to the care of the company was approved.
The company officially took over the care of the property.
The company purchased its first piece of motorized equipment; a 1925 Reo Truck with a 400 gallon per minute Hale pump. The price was $4,275. It arrived on January 17, 1925.
The Relief Association was created. The purpose of this Association was to determine benefits for sickness, accident, or death of members in good standing, with the amount being paid for each set by the Association.
During 1931, the borough council gave its permission for the company to place the sign “New Oxford Fire Company No. 1” on the front of the engine house.
In 1937, fifty years of service was celebrated! The celebration was to be a three day affair, but because of rain it was just a one-day fan-fare.
In 1939 Ford Darley Triple Combination Champion Pumper was purchased for $2,442.62. This is currently owned by New Oxford Community Fire Company member, Greg Staub.
Around 1946 / 1947, the Lions Club gave the company its first ambulance, a 1946 Buick, fully equipped and ready to go.
4:06 pm – The company officially became incorporated as the New Oxford Community Fire Company.
A bid was awarded to Hoffeins Brothers to build the new firehouse for $24,900; a year later the company moved in.
1952 saw the carnival being held behind the new fire hall, and also the first radio communications for the company.
Around 1955 – 1957 – the department acquired a 1955 Ford F-800 with a Seagrave pump and a 1957 Chevrolet ambulance with a National body.
1962 saw another engine purchased, this time a 750 GPM Seagrave pump on a Chevrolet chassis.
1964 brought the arrival of a new Pontiac ambulance with a Wolfington body.
The company expanded the fire hall to what stands at the present time
The company continued to upgrade their equipment with the purchase of a 1972 Cadillac ambulance along with the addition of a 1973 walk-in rescue, which was outfitted with the first Hurst Rescue Tools in the county.
The formation of a Junior Fire Company took place.
A Darley pump on a Chevrolet chassis was purchased and, unfortunately, was later destroyed in an accident on Dec. 18 1985. The department experienced their first Line of Duty Death as a result of this accident; Kathryn “Kathy” Murren Hippensteel gave her life in the line of duty while responding to a three-alarm call in Abbottstown.
The Company acquired three pieces of equipment: a 1982 Ford Darley engine, known as Engine 13-2, a 1985 Ford ambulance with a Yankee Coach Lexington box, and a 1987 Pierce Lance engine; this engine was known as Engine 13-1, which replaced the wrecked 1975 Chevrolet Darley.
A memorial was dedicated at the firehouse in memory of Kathryn “Kathy” Murren Hippensteel.
A committee was set up to look into a new rescue truck.
The purchase of a 36 foot Pierce Lance rescue truck was approved by the membership.
The new rescue truck arrived and in September of 1991, it was placed into service.
A new committee was appointed to look into the purchase of a new or refurbished ambulance. The committee elected to purchase a refurbished ambulance and the ambulance was placed back into service in early 1993.
A committee was formed to look into the building of a four-bay engine room. Late in 1994, the groundbreaking had started on Bolton Street beside the existing building for the new engine room.
The building was placed into service by housing the four pieces of equipment that the company had at the time.
A committee was appointed to investigate the need for replacement or refurbishment of the 1982 Ford Darley engine. It was decided to purchase a 1997 Pierce Sabre engine. This engine arrived in late 1997 and was placed into service a few weeks later.
The need to put paid EMS personnel on during the daytime hours was realized. Due to the stress being put on the volunteers because of our call volume the company approved the hiring of four EMT’s. On September 29, 1997 at 4 am the first crew of EMS personnel began their tour of duty.
A second ambulance arrived, a 1997 Yankee Coach.
The first aerial apparatus was placed into service.
A new ambulance was also placed into service.
The United Hook and Ladder #33 was placed into service through the combination of the Abbottstown Fire Co. #12 and the New Oxford Community Fire Co #13.